Tuesday, January 6, 2009

On the Bandwagon for Alternate Energy Use!

While spending 3+ weeks in the Philippines and some days in Hong Kong last month, I drove my family nuts looking for "alternate energy" that I could write about (and take pictures of, as well). You can tell that I was reasonably successful (because you can see some of the pictures in the previous two posts).

But I was surprised about how FEW alternate energy uses I found in these places. You really had to be searching intently to find any. Oh yeah, in the Philippines there was a solar water heater I saw along the NLEX (Northern Luzon Expressway) and a windmill (Multi-blade, U.S. Old-West Style) used for pumping water (again near the NLEX). In Hong Kong I saw the solar-powered bus-stop on Nathan Road, Kowloon, the windmill on a building near the Central District, Hong Kong, and the Liquid Propane tanks in the taxis... but I didn't see much else.

I searched for the electric jeepneys I posted about earlier -- but didn't see any to get a picture of. I *did* see a TV news item (on a Philippine channel) on the new electric "trikes".

Other than those above items, I didn't see much else. At my mother-in-law's place in Pampanga (about 100 kilometers north of Manila), we had no hot water. With all the sun this place gets, I'm surprised that the houses here don't ALL have solar water heaters on their roofs. Ah well... so no hot water, it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment